Transition local government operations online for remote work during (and after) the Coronavirus epidemic
Remote work is possible for local government employees
Local government leaders may think it’s impossible to transition their business processes online quickly (or at all). It’s true that firefighting and garbage pickup has to involve physical service, but much of the day-to-day work of local government can be brought online quicker than you probably think possible. Given the fast-moving impact of the Coronavirus, you’re probably looking for ways to stay effective even if your offices are closed and much of your staff is working from home.
Are you looking at statutory April or May local income tax, business licensing or parking permitting deadlines that usually create paper processing headaches at your offices? Worried about how these functions will get done if shelter in place orders are expanded, and many staff must work from home in order to care for their children?
Advantages of remote work for health and safety
Low-cost, cloud-based workflow tools like CityGrows can get your staff working remotely on in as quickly as one week. Here are some of the benefits of remote work:
- Residents and businesses can submit applications or report concerns from home and from anywhere via smartphone
- Provide services even when local government facilities are closed to the public
- Allows staff to work together on the same application or process without being physically in the same place
- Allows staff to work from home provided they have an internet connection and computer and/or smartphone
- Automates basic communication functions to reduce overall administrative time needed from staff, freeing them up to work on other projects
- Reduces calls and emails to government offices
How to transition to remote work quickly
CityGrows is a digital software tool designed to help governments transition from paper-, PDF- and in-person processes to digital services.
Think about which of your workflows you’d like to bring online first, and either check out our templates page to see if there's already a publicly available version of the kind of workflow you’re looking for, and/or get in touch with us here at CityGrows (email us at email@example.com or use the chat button at lower right of your screen). We’ll work with you to convert your existing form into a digital workflow. We helped the Village of Lake Barrington, IL bring 3 complex business license workflows online quickly this month to meet their annual licensing deadline.
We’ve seen governments in normal circumstances get up and running in less than 2 weeks, and we think given the seriousness of the coronavirus we can help governments create “work from home” and “submit from home” opportunities even more quickly.